Thursday, August 21, 2014

Authenticity of Self (Contains bad language -minimal)


For the last couple of weeks the predominate theme in my life has been relationships. This theme has always been at the forefront of my life, however, these last couple of weeks it has placed itself at the top of the list of themes affecting my life. With approximately two and a half weeks until my 37th birthday, it seems as though I’m encountering a bit of a “mid-life” crisis or possibly a phase of life learning that I wish I had encountered years ago. As I talk to people, it’s frustrating hearing the textbook responses from people who are trying to offer support, but really don’t know much about me or take time to understand me or the particulars of my experience.

The first textbook response that comes to mind is the saying that you need to “love yourself first”. I’m not saying that I completely disagree with that statement, but I find that when others provide this type of advice, it comes across as judgmental and a bit hypocritical. I say this because people assume that just because I have depression that I do not love myself. Another example would be my desire for a romantic relationship and the fact that I actually search for love means that I do not love myself. In romantic relationships, and any interpersonal relationship, there is then the dynamic of what type of treatment a person is willing to tolerate and depending on the degree of negativity tolerated, an individual is considered to be lacking in self-love because they (according to outside eyes) accept it as opposed to walking away. That’s not always the case. There may be other factors at play. Additionally, the way in which an individual conducts himself or herself isn’t always an indication that they do not love themselves. In my opinion, the lack of self-love is most apparent in the individual who is already harming himself or herself (psychologically or physically) and therefore the acceptance of negative or harmful treatment is more acceptable. That’s just one dimension (and an evolving theory for me that may require further thought and discussion).  When I was younger, I engaged in self-harming behaviors (read my previous blog posts), but I wasn’t completely self-loathing. As I got older and developed my self-identity, I became more confident in my skills and abilities. Others may disagree with me, but if I was lacking in self-love, I might have experienced more doubt about what I could accomplish and achieve in life. I set goals at a young age and I have managed to accomplish most of them. Where I’ve struggled is with relationships. My struggle in the area of relationships is NOT a condition of lacking self-love. I’m happy being single, but having that connection with someone at a romantic level would be a bonus. When I worded it to someone that way (although I used the word “multiplied”), I was told that I didn’t love myself enough and that I shouldn’t need another person to multiply my love for myself. In this case, I feel I was misunderstood. How many people have seen couples profess their love for each other and say that their lover “completed” them? I don’t see much difference in my statement. It’s just how the other person interprets my idea without asking for clarification.

I’m not sure if I’ve covered everything I wanted to regarding the “love yourself” topic, however, the main idea I want to get across is don’t assume that an individual does not have self-love just because they might put themselves through something that you yourself would walk away from. In some cases, it’s not so much a condition of lack of love for oneself that is the problem, but rather a part of their personal story that has yet to reveal the lesson that needs to be learned so they can be successful in a particular area of life. The reason I say this is because despite my depression, I’ve managed to accomplish my education, a successful career, complete marathons, and a host of other things that contribute to the person I am. You may think that these things don’t correlate with self-love; however, it is my belief that people who love themselves take part in things that are indicative of self-care. For me, this means personal development and self-improvement for the purpose of growth and understanding. That doesn’t mean we won’t have to repeat a few negative experiences along the way until the final piece of the puzzle is discovered to allow you to excel in an area that you might have been struggling. For me, this area was relationships and until a couple of weeks ago, I had little idea I was missing a piece of the puzzle. I thought that I had manageable relationship (and communication) skills despite a string of failed friendships and relationships. There are times when I knew when it was time to walk away and there were other times when I fought to save the integrity of the relationship. The problem always came when I fought for the relationship. I’m aware that it’s possible to say too much and to not say enough. My problem in relationships is that I never learned the appropriate time for either. My experiences these past two weeks has also taught me that our history can have a damaging impact on our present/future. I knew this from my studies in Psychology, but it’s different when it becomes applied to your own life. When you spend most of your formative years and young adulthood subconsciously fighting a battle for someone else who couldn’t (or wouldn’t) fight for themselves, it becomes damaging. When you grow apart from your caretakers and perceive that the love they had to give was being withheld from you, it can leave you angry. You might leave that behind in your childhood, but the emotions are not forgotten as you get older and it plays out in all your relationships when it’s triggered by a rejection or other perceived relationship failure. As a child, for years you silenced yourself, but as an adult you exercise your power to speak out.

My power to speak out has gotten me in trouble, but it’s always been the person I am. I’ve always had a hard time with people who could remain silent or hold back details. Today I was told that I “need to keep my mouth shut”. That I “say too much”. It’s not the first time I’ve heard it, but it’s the first time it resonated through me because I’m truly trying to use this current heartbreak as a growth opportunity. I’ve been trying to explain to those that I’ve reached out to that this heartbreak is not the same as others. I keep receiving the textbook responses to what I’m going through, but most don’t apply. As much as I want those who are trying to help to understand, I don’t have the energy to explain ME to someone who isn’t going to take the time to understand. I’ve experienced heartbreak before and I’ve moved on and my heart has healed, but this time is different. It’s a devastating crack to my heart (but it’s repairable) that has also cracked the core of my identity and who I thought I was to some degree. My confidence is a little bit shattered because although I’ve succeeded in so many ways, this whole experience feels like a failure. My attempts to move forward seem to be pushing me backwards because I’m doing things wrong and keep feeling punished for it. I think this is where someone would tell me that I need to love myself, but I call BULLSHIT on that. I DO love myself. I’ve just been challenged by conflicting information about certain behaviors I have that I thought were OK. That led to me wonder about the line between self-love and arrogant. I’m not saying I’m arrogant, but an arrogant person may appear to have self-love but in reality, be self-loathing. An arrogant person may be overflowing with self-love and just be an ass!

I’m struggling most right now because it’s a difficult road to change these apparent negative communication traits. I also admit that I sometimes have a hard time letting go, but that’s because I don’t believe in giving up on people just because they’ve given up on me. Some relationships are truly unhealthy, but it’s because  one or both people have unresolved issues. Sometimes those issues are apparent and other times, they lay dormant. It’s not our job to fix another person, however, I can say that the fact that a certain person didn’t completely give up on me is the reason I’m finding myself where I am today. There were times I was in denial, but it wasn’t until I witnessed how my actions affected another person, it pushed me to dig deeper to understand things. Even though it is imperative that I work through these issues on my own, they are RELATIONAL issues, not SOLO issues. If I’m not working on them with someone, they will be harder to resolve and are likely to resurface later on. A behavior is learned in a repetitive nature and must be unlearned in the same manner. It must also be reminded that it wasn’t learned in isolation.

My confidence has been shaken, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love myself. I’m not lying on the ground complaining about the fact that I have failed. I have dusted myself off and starting trying to do something about it. I keep messing up and it hurts because it’s thrown in my face. I know that it’s not being done to make me feel bad, but it still hurts. I begin to feel like a failure, but it pushes me to keep pushing to “change” and become a better version of who I was before the heartbreak. I may have done some bad things for all of the wrong reasons. I’m not using my past as an excuse, because as someone pointed out to me, it’s my choice. People will judge your behaviors and say that because you engaged in such and such behavior that you do not love yourself, but sometimes it’s a symptom of a larger problem. Free will may dictate your actions; however, sometimes frame of mind controls the impulse to act. It is in the moment when we are confronted with the deeper issues that it changes everything. It breaks you. Once that happens you begin the process of putting yourself back together.

No comments: